Boston Medical Malpractice Lawyer
The Boston medical malpractice lawyers at the Leontire and Associates, P.C. help malpractice victims get the care and compensation they need to right the wrongs committed by doctors and hospitals through surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication errors, and other medical negligence. Doctors, hospitals and their insurance companies fight hard against claims of medical mistakes. Our experienced medical malpractice lawyers have the knowledge, skills and resources to take on the medical establishment and hold doctors and hospitals accountable when their lack of competence or failure to provide adequate care has put a patient in a seriously worsened condition.
Damages Recoverable in Massachusetts Medical Malpractice Cases
Massachusetts medical malpractice law allows an injury victim to recover all of the following types of compensation, known in the legal field as damages:
- Reasonable medical expenses, including surgery or rehabilitation, due to the malpractice
- Lost wages or earning capacity, present and future
- Pain and suffering, loss of companionship, embarrassment and other general damages
Injury victims can recover the full amount of medical expenses and lost income. Pain and suffering damages are limited to $500,000, unless the malpractice caused substantial or permanent loss or impairment of bodily function, substantial disfigurement, or other special circumstances that would justify lifting the cap.
Complicated Time Limits on Massachusetts Medical Malpractice Claims
Every personal injury claim must be brought within a certain time frame after the accident occurs. This time frame is known as the statute of limitations, and cases brought after the time has expired may not be heard by the courts. The statute of limitations applicable to medical malpractice cases is complicated, and failing to understand and apply the appropriate time frame can be disastrous to your claim. Some of the different confusing limitations periods in Massachusetts medical malpractice cases include:
- Three years from the date of malpractice
- Three years from the date the malpractice was discovered or could have been discovered
- For a child less than six years old, until the child turns nine
- Not more than seven years after the malpractice in any case, except when the claim involves a foreign object negligently left in the patient’s body
- A longer period if the doctor or hospital fraudulently concealed the malpractice from the victim
Count on the attorneys at the Leontire and Associates, P.C. to have the necessary knowledge and experience to apply the proper procedures and technical legal requirements to your claim.
Help is Available after Medical Malpractice in Boston and New Bedford
For a no-cost, confidential consultation on your medical malpractice claim in Boston or New Bedford, call the Leontire and Associates, P.C. at 855-223-9080.