Boston Car Accident Lawyer
Getting around Boston by car is notoriously tricky for inexperienced drivers or visitors from out of town. Even seasoned Bostonians cannot always manage to stay out of car accidents. Even if you are a careful driver who knows your way around Boston city streets, you can’t always protect yourself from another driver who is speeding, drunk, too tired to drive, or too distracted by a cell phone to focus on the road. Attorney George Leontire and Associates, P.C.and his team at the Leontire and Associates, P.C. know what it takes to hold negligent Boston drivers accountable for car accidents and help accident victims get the compensation they need and deserve to deal with their injuries, suffering and the disruption in their lives.
See below for important information about Massachusetts car accidents and car insurance laws, and call our Boston car accident lawyers today for help after a car accident in Boston or New Bedford.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
Massachusetts drivers are required to carry several different types of insurance coverage under Massachusetts auto insurance law. These include:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Pays your medical bills when you are hurt in a car accident, without regard to which person was at fault. Required coverage is $8,000 per person, per accident.
- Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) – Pays the medical bills of another person when you are at fault in a car accident. Minimum required coverage is $20,000 for injury to one person, up to $40,000 per accident if more than one person is injured.
- Property Damage Liability (PDL) – Pays for the damage to another’s property that you cause in an accident. Minimum required coverage is $5,000 per accident.
- Uninsured Motorist (UM) – Pays your medical bills when you are hit by an uninsured driver or a hit and run driver who cannot be located. Required amount is $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident, in line with the coverage on your bodily injury policy.
Lawsuits are Only Authorized for Serious Injuries
Typically your first resort if you are hurt in an accident is to file a claim for PIP benefits. However, if you are seriously injured, Massachusetts law lets you “step outside” the no-fault system and file a lawsuit for damages against the negligent driver. In a negligence claim, you can potentially recover compensation for all your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other recognized legal damages. A serious injury that would allow you to file a negligence claim includes:
- Any injury resulting in more than $2,000 in medical bills
- Any fracture or broken bone
- Damage to hearing or sight
- Serious or permanent disfigurement
- Loss of a body part
Leontire and Associates, P.C. can help you pursue a negligence claim by investigating the accident, analyzing medical records, and preparing a strong case that proves the other driver’s negligence and the nature and extent of your injuries. Our lawyers have achieved significant results in some of the most complex cases and the most catastrophic injuries. We fight to see that you get the care you need and the compensation you deserve after you have been injured in a Boston car accident through no fault of your own.
Get Help Now after a Serious Car Accident in Boston or New Bedford
For help getting compensated after a car accident in Boston or New Bedford, contact the Leontire and Associates, P.C. at 855-223-9080 for a free consultation with an experienced and successful Boston car accident lawyer.